TFWC is a member of the General Federation of Women’s
Clubs the world’s largest organization of women in volunteer service. In order to promote and facilitate the exchange
of information, the state is divided into districts. Annual reporting by each club through the districts, assist the state
officers in keeping up with the activities, programs and work done by the individual clubs. A meeting of the Board of Directors
is held at the headquarters building in Austin while the Convention is held in a different district each spring.
It began more than 114 years ago with a
trip to the State Fair in Dallas.In the Fall of 1894, while the husbands “took in the fair”, the delegates
of the “Woman’s Congress” formulated the idea of combining women’s clubs into one statewide organization.
This concept of federation, an interchange of thoughts and efforts between clubs, took hold in May of 1897. Delegates from
18 clubs met in Waco to organize the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. In 1899 they voted unanimously to affiliate
with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
Now in the 21st century, the legacy of the 19th century study
clubs holds fast as we expand our efforts to include community service and civic improvements.